Wednesday, September 19, 2007

For Starters

I haven't blogged in a long, long time. I would probably get killed if I don't put one now because I have been here for quite a long time now. I have a lot to say, so forgive the incoherence of this entry. I type as it appears in my mind's eye. Haha.

I am back in school. After SIX long months of not even looking at a textbook. After six LONG months of letting my brain dry out in the sun while playing golf. Yes, my dear classmates (who heavily opposed me stopping school), rejoice. I have a school to be proud of now.

UC. Stands for University of Cincinnati, not University College, folks. *wink*

No, I didn't end up at Katipunan, nor did I end up at Taft. I ended up thousands of miles away from those friggin' places. But of course, all of you know that already.

I got here on the 4th of September and did some boring stuff. Fixed the dorms, got physicals and stuff like that. Met my teammates, practiced and tried to get over my jetlag. A few days after, we practiced, still fixed stuff for school and then, I watched my very first football game.

I never knew that Americans were such suckers for football. And I was such a freakin' loser amidst all the madness. They shouted for things I didn't even understand. I mean, all I know is you had to get that weird shaped ball past those lines for a touchdown. I didn't even know that you could kick it through the tall posts for one point. I didn't even know that you had 4 tries to get it another 10 yards. It's sad, but I never really knew why the movie "The Longest Yard" was called that.

UC won that game, by the way. By a lot. Don't count on me remembering the score of that game. I didn't even stay to finish it (because UC was leading by a lot, ok? I had a bit of school spirit).

That was also the day when I felt like a total loser because my mom knew more about the damn football game than I did. She was actually enjoying the game, and I was like bored to death. A lot of people have tried educating me about the damn game, but to no avail.

But before that, we had an effin' hard time carrying fuckin' inflatables everywhere for this community service thing. Amazing. I won't tell you much about that. I certainly don't want to relive that experience even in writing. Haha. Sorry. :P

One of my teammates said he was going to have a party to celebrate his birthday, and I'm invited. He was talking about getting alcohol and stuff like that, because every person in the whole university is like 18 or older (not that it matters, since 21 is the drinking age). I was like, "Even if I'm only 17?" He was like, "No. You're not 17." Then he says "How the hell did you get into college?!" =))

We had a preseason thing after that. We stayed at this cool Holiday Inn (I never thought I would call Holiday Inn cool, but that one was) except for the fact that my cot (Yes, I slept in a cot: freshmen have no rights!) was sagging in the middle. Haha. I roomed with 2 seniors, so how in the hell am I going to get a bed? :))

After that I did some more stuff for school. Those physicals continued. And we did this psychological thing that was WAY cool. It's a machine that measures your heartbeats, and sees how you can control them to stay "in the zone". It's just so fascinating. :)

Kate (my new Australian teammate) and I went to International Orientation on the 11th. We listened to boring shit and tried not to fall asleep in the middle of it. Every break time we would go off and look for something to do. And we did. We looked around the Great Hall (this effin' huge room) for our flags. I found a Philippine flag. There was no Australian one. (1 point for the Philippines! Oh yeah!) We improvised with a New Zealand flag that kind of resembled their flag.

Kate's funny. I swear. :))

Scenario: We were on our way to Janet's house, in her hot Lexus and Kate saw a huge lake.

Kate: *stares for the loooooongest time at the lake* Wow, Janet, you have a laaayk? *with her very own Australian accent*

Bambee: What? A like? Huh?

Kate: I said laaaaayk, not like.

Bambee: Oh, you mean lake, I thought you said like.

Kate: I said laaaaaayk.

I call her "Laaaaayk" now. She calls me "Pazzy".

It's for starters, so I really made you bitin. No English word can say it better than that.

'Til my next blog!

No comments: